What Do We Want Quick: Here’s a look at India’s shopping cart
In the last 12 months Bangalore, Mumbai, and Hyderabad have placed more orders than the entire population of Canada
Chennai, August 29, 2022 – In August 2020, Swiggy, India’s leading on-demand delivery platform launched Swiggy Instamart, introducing consumers to groceries that would be delivered in minutes, paving the way for the quick commerce category as we know it today.
24 months, close to 9 million lifetime users, 25+ cities, and millions of orders later, here are the top trends seen in India’s Swiggy Instamart shopping cart.
Note: Insights curated from analyzing millions of orders on Swiggy Instamart between the period June 2021- June 2022.
Learning #1 – India Likes It Quick
- Orders on Instamart have grown 16X in the past year
- Bangalore, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Delhi, and Chennai are the top metro cities that NEED IT QUICK, making them the cities that use Instamart the most
- In fact, in the last 12 months, Bangalore, Mumbai, and Hyderabad alone have placed more orders than the entire population of Canada!
- Non-metro cities like Jaipur, Chandigarh, and Ahmedabad are geared up to drive the next phase of growth for India’s quick commerce sector
Learning #2: Indians Go from Distress to De-Stress Real Quick
- Mumbai, Bangalore, Delhi, Hyderabad and Chennai were the cities that saw the maximum orders for distress items
- Close to 2 million sanitary napkins, menstrual cups, and tampons were ordered on Instamart in the past year
- Instamart became the first-aid saviour with customers ordering close to 45,000 boxes of band-aids
- Customers in Mumbai ordered condoms 570 times more in the last 12 months than they did in the year before
Learning #3: We Are Quick to Indulge
- Users relied on their favorite ice creams to cool off the summer heat, with orders jumping by over 42% in the months of April- June
- Talking about guilty pleasures – orders for ice creams were most popular post 10 PM. The most orders were from Bangalore, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Delhi, Chennai
- Over 5.6 million packets of instant noodles were delivered instantly across Bangalore, Delhi, Mumbai, Hyderabad, and Chennai
Learning #4: Quick CHUTTA ALWAYS COMES IN HANDY!
- While the highest bill amount on Instamart was Rs. 11,535; the lowest bill was Rs. 1 (thanks to exciting offers) – wonder if it was paid with a coin!
Learning #5: Quick! What Came First? The Chicken or The Egg?
- Instamart nearly solved the age-old mystery by delivering over 50 million orders of eggs in the past two years!
- Bangalore, Delhi, and Mumbai were clear about their ‘ande ka funda’ and placed an average of 6 million eggs orders each in the past year
- It was Egg-citing to note that customers from Bangalore and Hyderabad ordered the maximum number of eggs for breakfast, while customers from Mumbai, Jaipur, and Coimbatore ordered the most at dinner time
Learning #6: Quick and Legen-dairy
- Instamart witnessed over 30 million orders for milk in the past two years. The top three ordered dairy items were regular milk, full cream milk, and toned milk.
- Bangalore and Mumbai recorded maximum orders during breakfast time, while Delhi, Jaipur & Coimbatore ordered the maximum number of milk orders during dinner.
Learning #7: Upma and Poha Are Not Just Quick Fixes for Breakfast but Dinner Favorites Too!
- Bangalore, Mumbai, and Delhi ordered the maximum number of ready-to-eat Poha and Upma during dinner time – while some prefer them for dinner, others are prepping for their morning breakfast – either way, we love our Pohas and Upmas
Learning #8: For Some, Happiness Is Finding a Quick Vegan Alternative!
- Bangalore ordered the most dairy alternatives like soy, and oat milk. On the other hand, Mumbai topped the list when it came to the greatest number of plant-based meat orders
Learning #9: Lettuce Turnip the Beet Quick
- Over the past year, 62,000 tons of fruits and vegetables were ordered on Instamart. That is the approximate weight of 15,500 Asian Elephants!
- The top 3 vegetables sold on Instamart were Onion, Potato, and Cauliflower; Please send some aloo gobi sabji our way too!
- There was a 58x increase in organic fruits and vegetables bought on Instamart last year. Bangalore topped the list and bought over 1,200 tons of organic fruits and vegetables.
- Instamart’s bougiest customers hail from Bangalore, Delhi, and Mumbai with their top 5 exotic fruit orders being Kiwis, crispy green apples, imported green pear, imported avocados, and, dragon fruits
- With temperatures reaching an all-time high in Hyderabad during summers – users ordered close to 27,000+ bottles of fresh juice in the months of April to June alone
- Hyderabadis and Bangaloreans prefer it mirchi laga ke, having jointly ordered over 290 tons of green chilies in 12 months.
Learning #10: S-quick-y Clean
- Several users relied on Instamart for their cleaning products with over 2 lakh orders for bathroom cleaners, scrub pads, drain cleaners, and more in the past year.
Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an Editor.